Electrical Panel Upgrades
As homes get older, their electrical panels have difficulty handling the increased power demands on the system. When there is too much electricity is demanded on a circuit, the electrical panel has “breaker” switches to stop electricity from overloading a circuit. When wiring gets overloaded, the electricity can set off a fire or smoke damage. To keep your home and family safe, the electrical panel is essential to governing the electricity in the system. The standard for household power used to be 60 amps before 1980’. But modern homes may need as many as 200 amps to run air conditioners, electric vehicle chargers, induction cooking appliances, computer equipment, and high-tech home automation devices.
What is a panel upgrade?
A panel upgrade is simply replacing your electrical panel (or main service panel), found within a painted grey or metal box, containing your home’s fuses/circuit breakers.
Electrical Panel Issues
Defective or malfunctioning electrical panels will trip breakers quite often, or they may fail to trip a breaker switch, which can cause fire, smoke and melted wires. That can be a dangerous safety hazard that should immediately be fixed by a licensed, general electrician.
- The breaker switches have rust and corrosion or it feels warm inside the breaker box.
- Appliances run slow, less than full power, or frequent power surges.
- You often use extension cords.
- Your home has old two-pronged outlets, not three-pronged grounded outlets.
- It is a home 25 years or older (build in1990’) that has a 60-amp electrical service.
- The home has 100-amp electrical service, but some appliances still do not operate properly.
- Your older home has a fuse block panel or split-buss panel, which do not have a main breaker.
- ZINSCO or FPE (Federal Pacific) panels are advised to upgrade as soon as possible. Defective electrical panels like following.
How do we prepare for the panel upgrade work for you:
PLEASE NOTE: During the panel upgrade you will not have power for most the day, from roughly 8 AM to 4PM. Please be prepare for power outage during the work.
We offer exclusive home efficiency monitoring systems that let you view your home's electrical consumption on your smartphone and monitor usage levels of most of your home appliances. Notification services are available such as electrical dryer cycle end, solar panel cleaning reminder, appliances fault pre-warning, etc. We can also monitor the usage of specific areas separately like rooms for rental units, appliances, etc. May also be used as a sub-meter. Please ask us for more details.